Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rock and Roll USA half marathon

Well it has been a while hasn't it.
On March 17th, St. Patricks Day, I participated in the inaugural Rock and Roll USA half marathon. This was my A race. I was looking forward to it. Many of the plodders were running in it. Some were even doing the full.
We travel down to RFK stadium parking that morning. It was a cool morning but not as cool as the day before.
I had been drinking water on the ride in and thus had to use the bathroom many times before the gun went off.
We met up with a lot of the other plodders before hand and had some social time and took some pictures.
So it was time, and off we went.
My goal was to finish in 2 hours or under.
I started of feeling very good. I was behind the 2 hour pace group. I knew that they were in front of me but unsure as too exactly where they were.
As we were making our way down Constitution Ave, I caught up to the 2 hour pace group.
I was feeling really good at the time. I did not push too hard but did not feel that I could stay with them, so off I went.
I wasn't until I got around mile 7 near Harvard St where I started to fall apart. I was starting to feel really tired. Then the 2 hour pace group went by. I was a little disturbed by it but then realized that I caught up to them so I do have some time in the bank.
I tried not to let it bother me. But I started to really feel it in my legs.
I had to walk a bit. I did feel defeated.
I continued to plod on. I had a time to meet.
Well as it turns out I did not make my time. I came in at 2:05.
I feel that I left it all out there on the course.
In looking back at the day, it started out a cool morning but then it did grow warm. The pollen from the trees were very high as well. Not that I am trying to make excuses for why I did not make my goal but just looking for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment