Monday, June 22, 2009

What a week

Well the bid news this week is I got my Garmin. I have been looking for a while and trying to decide what model I was going to get. Of course the big consideration is cost. As we are trying to keep all spending down to the bare minimum. Believe me I even thought about not getting one, but from all the people that I talk with they said that it really helps them especially on the training aspect. I figure that if I am going to really get serious about running and really focus I am going to need all the help that I can.
I was reviewing Garmins web site to see the different models and trying to figure out what I need and what I want out of the different functions that are offered. I was set on the 300 series of the forerunner. I was seaching everywhere, ebay, Costco, amazon just to see what was out there and who had the best pricing. I was debating on used versus new. Then it happened. I came accross a web site yugster.com. This is a website that offers one product a day at a great price. Much like woot.com or 1saleaday.com. There are many others as well. Anyway, yugster was offering a Garmin 305 for just over $100. This is a considerable difference in price from the list pricing and a better price from Costco. Granted this is a refurbished model but it comes with a warrenty so all is good.
So lets talk about my running this week.
Last Monday was good. There was news of other folks joining us on the afternoon run. That should be fun.
Well Wednesday came and so did the rain. We decided that it was not worth going out in the rain as it was really coming down. So I had to wait until that evening to do my run. Which was not too bad. I am reallying liking runing at work, especially with a runing buddy or two, we shall see who decides to join us.
Like I mention earlier, my garmin arrived. I am very excited. I was able to download all the software and charged it up. I used the heartrate monitor when we work out in the morning with maya and will download that information so I can compare the stats.
So now it is Saturday and time for my long run of the week. I wake up to the sound of rain. Crap! I guess I will have to run inside and I can't really use my garmin. Well I delay and delay and lo and behold the rain lets up and it looks like it is going to clear up. There is a lot of blue sky out there. I decide to go out side, because I really wanted to use my garmin and compare it with my Nike plus. So the training plan I am on had me running 10 miles, I was planing on going for 6 and then seeing how I felt. The last day of school was yesterday and we had some of the teachers over for a little get to gether. So I was a little tired but no excuses. Well I was about 3 miles into it when it started raining. It was not a bad rain, but it started to pick up and rain harder. This did not bother me as I was already hot and sweaty the rain help to cool me down. My wife even got in the car to come see if I needed to be rescued. I told her that it was just rain and that I was ok. So she drove off. Then it started to thunder and lightning. Well being that my route takes me by some very tall trees and even a lake I decided that it was not worth the risk and that I should continue in my basement on the treadmill. Well that did not happen as my feet and shoes were soaked. I wanted to let them dry out some. Well it was a very busy weekend with other this like a broken car came up and I was unable to finish my long run. So my miles for the week were down quite a bit. I was suppose to do about 18 and I only ended up doing 10. That is ok. With everything going on I don't want to risk over working my body. I will make up for it this week.
That is all for now. More to come, including updates with the Garmin.

No comments:

Post a Comment