Monday, September 21, 2009

Join a running group

I have put a lot of thought into joining a running club, but being that we live kind of out in the country there really is none in the area. I just don't see the need to drive an hour just to run a couple of miles, plus my day is very busy and I am not home enough to enjoy time with my family during the week.
So a friend of mine who I met as our kids are friends at school had mentioned that he started running with a couple of people out in our area. They get together a couple of days a week for a run. He invited me to join them and I jumped at the chance. They get together during the week but it is in the morning and, well I am a bit busy getting up, getting the kids ready for school and getting myself out the door to work. I did join them this past Sunday for a long run and it was great. I feel so much better running with someone besides myself. I learned that some of them are training for the Marine Corp and others just like to run. There are about 8 of them but I have only met 4.
The route that we did was a 6 mile out and back on the W&OD trail. We took a short break to get some water and fuel up then it was on the trail again for 14 mile out and back for a total of 20 miles. Well I only joined them for the first 6. It was my sons birthday and I wanted to get home so he could open up our gifts. Not to mention that I was not ready for a 20 mile long run yet.
So if you have ever thought of joining a running group I would say do it. So far it is working for me.
Thanks for reading.
I hope to post more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment